Monday, May 5, 2014

My current squat & plank challenge


So, I've been a bit out of practice, after an over-rotation of my right hip led to a slight dislocation.  And lots of pain.  I'm coming off my lengthy rest period, where I did gentle stretching to stay loose, but didn't aggravate the hip too much...  and now it's time to start back into it.  I'm about 4 days in with this, and figured I'd share! 


Not sure where the original image, above, came from, since it's super wide-spread now...  but this is the plank challenge.  It starts off nice and slow, and eases you into longer holding of the pose.  It's harder than it looks.

I've been doing both the dolphin plank shown above as well as a basic plank, hands and feet, top of a push-up style.  My shoulder may not make it for the forearm ones, but I want to at least get back into toning up my core again.

I am currently able to get the plank done without a rest break, but if I need a rest break between 30 or 60 second stretches, later, that's fine.  The total number of minutes/seconds per day is what matters in the end.

Image taken from Goddess Pose article, linked below

Beyond this, I'm also doing a squat challenge.  I started with 20/day, since I know that's relatively easy for me, and have added 5 extra squats every day.  By the end of the 30 days, that means I'll be at 165 squats in one day.  If I can keep it up.  Might stop at 150 or something, though.  We will see how I feel at the time.  I just did 35 this morning, for today's batch.

The squat I've been doing is a yoga squat called Goddess Pose, feet a little wider than mat's width apart, toes and knees in line.  Squat down until thighs are parallel to the ground, then back up.  I try to keep by back as straight as possible, and get them all done in a single sitting.

Follow any of the links to see more in-depth detail for how to hold your body when in the pose, and how to get in and out of it, which can be helpful.  If you join me, feel free to complain about how hard it is!  It certainly LOOKS easier than it is, overall!

But, I guarantee, by the end of it all, we won't regret it!  Happy self-challenge!  If you're doing something different right now, share!  We'd love to try something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment